27.6.07

The Facebook intelligentsia (er, see "study")

Now this is interesting... although, not all that surprising, if you think about The Facebook's original exclusivity about school association. From the BBC article:

A six-month research project has revealed a sharp division along class lines among the American teenagers flocking to the social network sites.

The research suggests those using Facebook come from wealthier homes and are more likely to attend college.

By contrast, MySpace users tend to get a job after finishing high school rather than continue their education.

The conclusions are based on interviews with many teenage users of the social networking sites by PhD student Danah Boyd from the School of Information Sciences at UC Berkeley .

via SmartMobs. Also, see previous post about the MySpace-Facebook dichotomy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

ooh- fascinating! love it. thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

another musing after reading the article-

the sites look physically different, too. I found that Facebook is less intuitive to use and required user intelligence or web fluency to use, while Myspace is just so simple-looking.

I remember when I first migrated from Friendster to Myspace, I hated it because I thought the interface was insulting. I couldn't understand why anyone wanted to use Myspace, but eventually I fled Friendster completely since no one was using it anymore.

Facebook, to me, has a similar look and feel to Friendster.

anyway. put that in your pipe and smoke it. xo amber